From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 02:04:33 -0500
>Yesterday a 7-month old and an 11-month old were found dead - reportedly
>in bed >with their moms.... The police concluded that the moms rolled over
>on the >children and smothered them, and that alcohol or drugs were not
>involved...  >Now, I ask you, how many 7-month olds would quietly lie
>still and be smothered?

This post made me take to my bed - literally - along with the bear I use to
demonstrate older-baby-on-hip-in-sling and the rag doll I use for newborn
positioning, to see what might happen if the babies *did* lie still.  The
rag doll is thinner than a newborn and lacks any resisting bones.  Even so,
I think I'd wake up if I rolled onto something that lumpy.  And the bear?
I burst out laughing.  It took a  real effort - and two hearty attempts -
to roll on top of him.  And that was with him lying face down so his nose
didn't poke me.  I'd love to see this demonstrated in a courtroom.  Maybe
have each of the jurors give it a go...

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY