From:
"Melanie Ashworth (415) 725-8767" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 15:33:06 -0800
From: Melanie Ashworth, RN IBCLC
        Stanford Lactation Center, Stanford, CA

Subjects: List membership/pumps
1)  What are we concerned with? Don't we tell the truth? Aren't we proponents of
the best possible way to nurture and parent?  And why would we be afraid expose
that to people who are misinformed?  We don't have "tactics" or "strategies"
that are dishonorable?  I have a wonderful patient who, at the time of her first
child's birth was a formula rep.  Well, she wanted to breastfeed, and we helped
her and encouraged and supported her and said nothing about her "job", we just
let her find out for herself that this was the best.  She breastfed, returned to
work but refused to represent formula, and continued to breastfeed and provide
pumped milk for over 16 months.  Not bad for a first-time "convert". Now she is
expecting number two, can't wait to breastfeed and wants to "break her personal
best".  What if we had "refused" to keep our communication lines open or not
established a way for her to comfortably and graciously discover the truth?

2) Pumps: We do NOT recommend anything but an interior piston, fully automated
double electric breastpump for anyone who needs to initiate and maintain
lactogenesis and lactation without the benefit of a fully nursing baby.  Once
established, once breastfeeding, we suggest mothers who are interested may
consider a different model but to ALWAYS base their choice on BODY RESPONSE.
Their body and their baby.  THAT will be on my headstone.  Full stop.
A motorcycle is NOT a limousine.  They may BOTH be "transportation".
Melanie Ashworth, RN IBCLC
Stanford Lactation Center, Stanford CA