From:
Linda Anderegg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 22:50:35 -0500
A physician has asked me for some references and information on how babies
develop a sensitivity to cow's milk protein, specifically if the antigens
cross the placental barrier.  I have some texts I can give him but haven't
had much luck with an internet search.  Does anyone know of any good
articles I can send his way?

And a completely unrelated question:  I saw a mom with a questionable
history of PCOS, not officially diagnosed, but had many of the signs and
symptoms (history of infertility and ovarian cyst removals, obesity).  She
had no fullness in the upper quadrants of the breasts and they could
probably have been described as tubular but were a little wide for that
label.  Baby was attached, asleep, and suckling non-nutritively.  Few, if
any, swallows were heard.  She had been giving ABM at each feeding by her
own choice.  When baby detached from the breast mom had 2 large blisters and
the nipple was slightly misshapen.  My question is this:  do women with
hypoplastic breasts have decreased nipple sensitivity?  I thought it was
very odd that mom felt no pain at all.  (We did address the possible milk
supply issues, etc.)  Thanks for your collective wisdom, as always.

Linda Anderegg, RNC, IBCLC, RLC in Chicago where summer has returned-or did
it ever leave?