From:
Joseph Rigley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 07:56:53 -0400
After completing 43 years of M&C nursing, I now work a few hours a week
as a hospital based lactation consultant, small desert community
hospital. I spent the first 20 years in a large NY state urban center.
My background is similar to Jan's - management, teaching, etc. .Last
week, California's Nurseweek magazine, had a wonderful spread on the
blessing of hands. The Samaritan Hospitals of the Phoenix area are
Planetree hospitals, and have begun to bless the hands of healthcare
workers in a very inspiring ceremony, that is done right on the ward,
with the help of a chaplain and 1 or 2 other health workers. I know that
I am always trying to make parents aware of the importance of touch in
parenting, loving and healthy growth.. I also know that my hands are
"healing hands" and it is because of that knowledge that I was able to
sustain myself in nursing . Many times I came home from the hospital
vowing to never go back because of the frustration over the care of a
labor patient - and the lack off "hands on" nursing care. Presence is so
important in the nursing profession and yet time and again we find
something to take our place........Well, to Jan and all who have these
feelings....you are blessed, your hands are blessed and all that they
touch will be blessed by your intention to heal, to alleviate, to
educate, to make life healthier, wholier and holier. Fill your minds
with knowledge to impart to your patients.....Maureen