From:
Patrick H Callahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 20:35:14 -0400
  I have a humorous twist in defiance to the advertising ploy using Peter
Rabbit being bottle fed.  Two summers ago when I was nursing my 20 month
old daughter,  we found some baby bunnies in our back yard.  They had been
abandoned by their mother and looked like they were starving.  We tried
giving them some grass but they seemed to weak to eat it.  I then came up
with the bright idea of expressing some of my milk for them.  We gave it to
them with an eye dropper.  They sucked it right down.  I have to admit, I
was quite proud.
They grew and were released into our backyard.  I told a few people that
story and they thought  I was alittle off the deep end.

  On the other hand I also work for WIC as a Peer counselor and think it
definitely
should be against some kind of code even having a contract with a formula
that uses that type of advertising.  Our jobs  are hard enough trying to
convince a lower income mom to bf her babe when the people we work for
gives the mom vouchers for free formula.  Don't get me wrong, I know our
agency does so much for the families of our clients  One dream I have for
our program is that some day
there weren't any formula vouchers given out for atleast a month.  I sure
think alot more moms would atleast try and bf those babes.  It might sound
radical, but think of all of the free formula they get from the hospital
and through the mail.  By the way my children are also on WIC and never
recieved one drop of formula.
For a government who is so concerened with saving money, this could save
them a bundle.

Shawn Callahan WIC Peer Counselor
Happily nursing my 23 month old son(Carter)