From:
Sue LaLeike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 1996 20:18:42 -0400
Dear Linda,

Thanks for the clues!  I for one will never again call it the f-ball hold!
What wonderful thought patterns and semantic fodder!

I do want to share with everyone what my midwife sometimes called the hold,
but only if everyone promises to take it without negativity, as neither she
nor I would use it demeaningly..........she took her midwifery training at
Frontier some 20+ years ago, and to be honest, until I read Linda's post on
the terminology, I had forgotten how she called it.  And please, before
your buttons get pushed, understand that some of my very best friends come
from the Appalachian mountains, as does some of my favorite
music...................When explaining the hold to me, my midwife called
it "the hillbilly hold.".....................Being a non-fan of f-ball, I
guess I'd much rather call it that, in honor of all that the richness of
those very hills has brought into my life through its people and
music............but society being what it is, I'll convert to side hold.

Sue LaLeike
Lehigh Acres, FL  (whose best friend was born in a mountain cabin in KY,
but moved to the flatlands where she learned nothing about breastfeeding
from her OB or birth classes, and thus she turned to me for help with a
full-blown case of nipple confusion, since I was the only person she knew
besides her mama who had breastfed)