From:
Dressler/DeMarco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:08:01 -0500
All of the posts on this mom have been interesting and helpful.  Of course,
the first priority is to focus mom on the baby's need to eat--his cues, her
options.  Perhaps she is a very young mom and is having difficulty moving
from needing a mother to being a mother.  To be frank, I dunno about the
social worker.  This is my humble, and non-professional opinion, I have to
say.
Keeping in mind all the possibilites suggested by others, and easily done by
anyone who walks into the mom's room, is just to talk to her (hoping to
segue into "with her") about her baby.  Tell her how he resembles her, how
he relaxes in her arms (especially if you have got him there, and feeding,
one way or another), how beautifully tiny and perfect his features are, etc
etc.  We all love a moment to admire and say a word or two about a baby.
Encourage bonding by simply chatting with mom.  The situation may not be
that critical.  Kind remarks.  Even the food service personnel can do it.
If, by discharge time, the mom is still actively resisting, by all means
consult with family and consider calling in the social workers.
Diane, LLL in Vermont