From:
Sally Myer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:20:23 -0500
Lactnetters:
Here is information I received last month in an FDA email newsletter I
subscribe to.....just in case anyone is questioning  the integrity of the
FDA.  Especially read the last paragraph.   (hmmm, could it be the release
of this statement was planned to occur nicely timed just prior to the
domperidone statement?).
Sally Myer RN
McCook NE USA
************

FDA Statement
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      Statement
      May 18, 2004
     Media Inquiries: 301-827-6242
      Consumer Inquiries: 888-INFO-FDA

Statement by Dr. Lester M. Crawford, Acting FDA Commissioner, on Outside
Activities of FDA Employees
Like its sister agencies in the U.S. Department of Health and Human
Services, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is a public health agency.
But FDA is unique in the Department because it is primarily a regulatory
agency.

As a result, for more than three decades FDA has had an aggressive
disclosure and review process that is designed to ensure that its employees
do not have any conflict of interest involving companies and entities that
FDA "significantly regulates."

To maintain the public trust in its public health work, FDA has placed
reasonable restrictions on the financial and employment ties between FDA
employees and the entities it regulates.

Since 1970, review of FDA employees' requests to participate in outside
activities has occurred within the FDA centers, at levels below that of the
Center Director. I believe that this authority should be delegated to a
higher level, so on May 6th I issued an interim policy on the approval of
outside activities. Under this policy, FDA Center Directors must review and,
if an activity is allowed, approve all outside activity requests.

In light of recent questions about possible conflicts of interest involving
HHS agencies, I have also directed a comprehensive review of all current
outside activity requests from all FDA employees. Once that review has been
completed, FDA will issue a final policy on the review and approval of
outside activities.

FDA's commitment to the highest ethical standards in its dealings with
regulated entities remains constant. I am confident that the current review
of FDA employees' outside activities will show that the nation is well
served by the dedication of FDA's expert scientists and physicians and their
demonstrated ability to conduct the public business fairly and impartially.

  This message has been checked for Viruses and Spam Content by McCookNet Internet Service Spam and Virus Filtering Service. See us on the web @ http://www.mccooknet.com
http://www.mccooknet.com