From:
Teresa Vinisky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 22:49:12 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I may be wrong here but I always thought that the majority of hospitals got
> the formula for free from the companies as part of each company's
> advertising budget (since the formula used and/or given to the mother at
> discharge is the brand that 98% of parents will buy for their baby until
> they start on regular cow milk).

You're right. At least from my NICU experience (as a mother). I was told they
get everything free. For example, the sterile water. Since I was pumping they
would give me cases of sterile water to use the lids off of since the plastic
lids weren't sterile. I felt awful wasting all that water. Then, they started
giving me plastic lids to sterilize at home once I was discharged. Once, I
ran out of plastic lids and while in the NICU for the day had to go back to
using the water lids. Since I pumped 12 nursettes at once, I was using a case
every time I pumped. Once nurse got a bit snippy. :(
The other nurses said, "So what..she needs sterile lids, they didn't give her
enough plastic last night and we get it free anyway.". Which is why they are
also able to just use a cc or 2 out of RTF and toss the rest of the jar! I
also watched them send a few cases home with all the FF moms.
Teresa