From:
MMurphy856 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 14:03:01 EST
I haven't seen teeth in a newborn for a while, but as a resident I remember
removing a few. They were an odd shape- usually small and pointy, with a
minimal amount of enamel. The felt more like a wart than a tooth. The few I
pulled came out with a minimal amount of effort by hand with a gauze pad for
traction. They were not very vascular, didn't have much of a root, and removal
didn't seem to cause much discomfort. Usually the moms made the request to the
nursing staff and they passed it on to us. It seemed that the tendency for
natal teeth ran in the family, most of the moms had a relative born with a
tooth.

Mary Murphy MD