From:
"Melinda Hoskins, MS, RN, CNM, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:05:43 -0800
Mirena is a progesterone based IUD.  It is thought to release very low
amounts of progesterone into the blood stream, and to mostly act at the
local tissue levels to achieve its effect.  I haven't had any experience
prescribing Mirena to breastfeeding women.  I would probably recommended
that breastfeeding be well established prior to a woman consider using any
form of hormonal contraception.  My personal bias would be to have them use
the Micronor or mini pill (a progesterone only oral contraceptive) prior to
using any more long term source of hormone.
Melinda Hoskins, CNM, IBCLC