From:
Hollands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 22:06:52 -0400
>His opinion is that health professionals should recommend his formula, as
they
>are the only company that doesn't advertise directly to consumers. As a
matter
>of fact, that is why his company has the market at this particular hospital.
>His not-so-veiled threat was that if the health professionals that he markets
>don't recommend his brand, the company will have to switch to direct consumer
>ads as well. So much for doing the "right thing" because it is morally right
>to do so, huh?

Kathy, this seems to be the going line for the "stools like bf babies" abm
company.  Do not believe for one moment that they are not advertising
directly to the consumer.  They routinely send a case of their product to
mom's home!!!  Not the mom's that are already using this abm either--these
moms in most instances have not even delivered the baby yet!!

I am also hearing lots of whining about if the medical community does not
stand behind either of the 2 big abm companies, then God forbid, these poor
uneducated moms will just go to the store and pick whatever is cheapest.
They are especially concerned since Walmart and Kroger are now selling
their "own brand" of abm, (which I was told is being manufactured by SMA).

IMO, formula is really not that complicated, and I do not consider it a
pharmaceutical--simply synthetic nutrition for human babies.  I think that
a mother that is not going to bf a healthy newborn, should be able to do
the research for herself and not feel obligated to use a particular brand
simply because her ped. recommends it.

BTW, things are still pretty stirred up at my hospital since the ped.
committee meeting.  There have been several meetings between peds and head
of maternal/child health.  Administration has really been very supportive
and the rep. that went to all of the peds groups now has to see the
director before he is allowed on the floor.  I talked with my director
about how if abm is medicine--it should be charged to the patient, and if
it is food--nobody else in the hospital eats for free (Thanks Marsha).  She
must have thought that made perfect sense because she was overheard saying
that if we had to pay for our abm--then so be it!!  Thanks to all of you
that sent me so many great ideas on how to work this situation out :)

                             Pam Holland,BS,IBCLC
                               Savannah, GA