From:
"Henry, Felicia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 10:30:26 -0700
I remember when my first was born the nurses taking my son so "I could
sleep" at night.  What I always tell expectant parents is that it is HARDER
to sleep without your baby.  Have you ever really listened to the post
partum ward at night.  There are lots of babies crying - when you are a new
mom your first thought is "Is that my baby?"  I remember spending the whole
night thinking:  It may not sound like mine, but being new maybe I'm not
sure.  Should I turn on the lights and get ready for them to bring him to
me?  Should I go check on him and get him?  This went on all night until
they brought him into me.  Then I nursed him (somewhat - he had big latch
problems at first) and then we both slept.  That was the only sleep I ever
got.  So I always tell new moms - your best bet for getting sleep is having
your baby with you - then you can tune out the other babies cries.

Felicia Henry
Bradley Instructor
Breastfeeding Support Person
Oxnard, CA