From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 23:37:36 -0600
Okay, I'm getting quite excited now.  I think what just happened was not "just another nurse-in".   please indulge me as I detail a bit of media today.

short recap - on "The View" today, Barbara Walters called in to say that the lactivists had been misrepresented what she had said, that she was "maligned", and that she felt very badly about this.  She also said that it was the man beside her that was uncomfortable, that she never said she was uncomfortable (with the woman breastfeeding beside them).

We were never able to get hold of tapes or transcripts, so we were relying on heresay (from hundreds of moms who heard the same thing).

Well, on the late night talk show Jimmy Kimmel live on ABC,  he played the tapes - the original episode, and what she said today.  Then he said, wait a minute...... and played them again.  She clearly had said "she" was uncomfortable in the original show.  She changed the story for today.  It was very clear that she was lying.

So someone in helping us out.

And on another late night show
MSNBC Countdown with Keith Olbermann     Check out #1 on the list! (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/)

'Lactivists' protest
What is the most powerful lobbying group in this country at the moment? Yo' mama!...MORE

'Lactivists' protest - What is the most powerful lobbying group in this country at the moment? Yo' mama!  That's right, you heard me!  Six states have, of late, passed laws protecting a mother's right to breast-feed her baby anywhere.  Protest campaigns got both Starbuck's and Burger King to switch from being Lactate-Intolerant to being pro-nursing.  And now, on top of every one of their other recent accomplishments they've just flattened Barbara Walters in public.  More than 150 women showed up outside ABC's headquarters in New York yesterday because Walters went on the program "The View" and was critical of one woman who breast-fed her child near her on a flight.

I'm sorry - this is probably straying far from regular topics.  But I think we might have just made a breakthrough.  yes we have lots of work to do.

As someone else said to me tonight:
"Well, although contacting political representatives might make a difference
in some cases, usually politicians do things that they feel that the people
want. Otherwise, how will they get voted in again?
 It is people's voices and their actions that make the changes. The "nurse
ins" let the people, the regular people, know about the issue. The "nurse
ins" get the regular people thinking. Then regular people pressure their
representatives. More accurately, the political people have marketing people
out there researching what it is the people want. These ideas are then
reflected in their campaigns."

Thanks for indulging me in my enthusiasm.
Janice Reynolds