From:
Lynnette Hafken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 15:07:40 -0400

Hi,

This is my first post to Lactnet.  I am an LLLL in Gaithersburg, MD (I
am very fortunate to have Diana West as my coleader), and IBCLC hopeful
in 2006.  I am honored to be making some small contribution to this
wonderful list.

I came across a great website for educating kids about breastfeeding.
It has lesson plans and activities from grades K-12.:

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/b_feed/

I also like hands-on materials for teaching children.  You could wear a
doll in a sling to show how babies love to be close to mom's breasts.
You could have a display of diapers with a fake plastic poop in one (to
represent formula-fed) and a little yellow paint to represent breastfed
poop (I'm trying to think of what would catch kids' interest!).  You
could also invite a nursing mom from LLL to come and sit with you and
bf her baby at your booth; kids are really curious to see babies
breastfeeding, and that would be worth a thousand words!  A
breastfeeding doll might be a good display item that kids could play
with.  You could also have a bunch of plastic animals and talk about
how each species of mammal makes a different kind of milk, including
people!  Our milk is the sweetest because our big brains need lots of
glucose.

There is also a great book about breastfeeding for kids: "Breasts" by
Genichiro Yagyu.  Here is a link to it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/091629188X/ref=pd_sxp_elt_l1/
002-9207405-2474421

Sincerely,
Lynnette Hafken