From:
Rachel e-mail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 20:46:17 +0100
This thread is interesting.  I don't remember which speaker said it at the seminar in Oslo last June, it was either Auerbach, Bruce or Brotherton, but the comment has become a mantra for me: "Mechanical aids are no substitute for competent help." or something like that.  Never say never, either.
I have learned, when faced with the argument from colleagues who do NO follow up whatsoever after mothers leave our ward that "She used shields throughout her entire period of BF last time and it went fine!!!" that it is smart, and revealing, to ask how long that entire period lasted, and how it ended.  Most often it is a couple of months, which is seriously amputated by our standards, and BF ended gradually as milk supply declined inevitably while being replaced with more and more formula.  Then I can rest my case.  But today I met a mother who had used shields for seven months with first baby, and was starting off with them from day 2 with second baby.  Both times it was because of discomfort during BF.
Observation of a feed revealed a classic, minor error of positioning which when corrected allowed her to feed the baby from her naked breast painlessly and to the great satisfaction of them both.  Most of the problems I see are this simple, and I think that bothers me the most of all.
Rachel
fighting the battle for competent help PLUS appropriate aids