From:
Marijke Frings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 2009 20:01:19 +0100
Dear Nikki,

I think it depends on the situation.
And in the Netherlands a pacifier is recommended before the baby is put to
sleep to reduce the risk of SIDS.

When I see a mother and she is using a pacifier I am waiting for the right
moment to ask here if she has a special reason why she is using a pacifier.

Last week I asked a mom. Her baby is 2 months old now. The reason for my
visit was nipple pain due to a very tiny wound.
He finished the feeding, when he was asleep on her chest and after a while
she put him in the crib.  (The crib was on her bedroom :-).  After a while
she heard him crying a little bit and she picked him up. He stopped crying.
A while later she was preparing for going outside to visit the doctor. The
baby was lying on the sofa with the pacifier in his mouth. I asked why she
was using it. He was not crying anymore. So it was not to stop the crying.
She had no special reason. It think it was more a habit.
I told here about the risks. I asked here if the nurse of the well baby
clinic explained the risks to here. She told me that she was not aware of
this. Our nurses have to tell this to a mother. In oktober I have taught our
nurses  about the risks of the use of a pacifer. (Our organization is
preparing for the breastfeeding certificate for well baby clinics, The Seven
STeps for Supporting Breastfeeding by Youth Public Health Care. This is
bases on the the BFHI>

Ok, I am still not answering your question....

In the Netherlands the recommendations to minimize the risks on SIDS is the
give a baby a pacifier when he goes to sleep. Because I work for this
organization I tell the mother that this is the advice from our
organization. But only before he goes to sleep..
I think it is the same recommendation in the USA.

But I also tell here about the risks of the use of a pacifier: ear
infections, delayed feeding, malocclusion).

I hope that by telling this the mother she is reducing the use of a pacifier
in this case.  When it is not neccesary.

Ok, this brings me to the quesion. When is pacifier use neccesary? Is it
neccesary?
We know from the work from Paula Meijer that is is neccesary for prematures
to suck.

But this is not in the scope of your question I assume.

So here we are talking about a healthy full term baby.

I also don't have personal experience with a pacifier. But I know
LLL-leaders who really couldn't go without a pacifier. I was a sort of
safeguard, when the baby wanted to suck but was not hungry.

Ok, I am looking forward to other answer.

Marijke Frings
IBCLC at a Well Baby Clinic (Groene Kruis Jeugdgezondheidszorg) The
Netherlands
and
LLL-leader, APL The Netherlands
Nutritionist MSc, Wageningen University