From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2008 22:52:34 -0500
There are 3 of us that work part time, mostly 2 of us. I followup pretty
much everything when I'm in and keep the statistics. Exclusivity is quite
rare. But if practiced, we make a note of it. I have a place on my form for
the first time baby was offered the breast, and I keep stats on vag vs c/s
births and time of initiation.
I have a form on every mom who breastfed and even those who were considering
it. Becoz on the form we document the feeds and the teaching and the history
of mom/baby.
What I do is I go back each month and count the number of moms who gave
birth (viable infants). Then I have the number of moms who did any
breastfeeding, because if they did, we will have them on our caseload. and I
get a percentage. We typically have notes on whether mom is exclusive or
mixed feeding, as I said mixed feeds being very common here.
I must say, that I do not know if once in a while there is a mom who states
she is bottle feeding and slips in a bf, and it is not noted. I would say
that is rare, as the nursery is pretty involved with the baby care and
babies are often in the nsy. (not that this is a good thing mind you). The
nurses and the docs let us know if mom is doing any bf or is interested.
I've kept statistics since I joined the facility in Oct 2005. By the way,
the stats have not really changed since then, maybe early initiation after a
vag birth is more frequent.
Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
MISSISSIPPI USA