From:
Elizabeth Pantley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 11:26:29 -0500
I am now reading the Baby Whisperer.

Firstly, I find it very strange that all of her endorsements are by actors,
screenwriters and the president of Twentieth Century Fox – I thought this
was a book on babies, not acting!

P105 A chart on Brestfeeding the first four days says a mother should feed
baby:
First day – whenever baby wants – 5 minutes on each side
Second day – every 2 hours – 10 minutes on each side
Third day – every 2 ½ hours – 15 minutes on each side
Fourth day – every 2 ½ to 3 hours -  40 minutes maximum

Here are a few EXACT quotes related to breastfeeding/feeding:

Most sleep problems occur because one of the following happens before
bedtime:  baby is nursed….

P90  Unfortunately, mothers-to-be face a quandary when deciding how to feed
their babies. Given the current controversy over breast milk versus
formula, the choice is compounded by huge propaganda campaigns. Obviously,
in books about breastfeeding or on Web sites sponsored by LaLeche League or
by the U.S. Public Health Service, both  of which support a culture of
breastfeeding, the material is slanted toward giving your baby human milk.
But you’re just as likely to find the opposite bias on a Web site sponsored
by a formula manufacturer. Let’s face it: If you purchase a manual for a
Cuisinart, it’s highly unlikely that you’ll find information in it about
using a whisk.

So, as a new mum, what are you to do? Try to maintain a balanced view and,
in the end, decide what’s right for you. Take all opinions into account,
but be cautious about whom and what you consult; know what a particular
resource is trying to “sell.”

In this chapter I provide empowering information – without the rocket
science or statistical numwhack that conventional breastfeeding books tend
to bombard you with.

P91 Time and again I’m called in as a lactation educator after a baby is
born, and I discover that the mum has pressured herself into a
breastfeeding regimen, either because her spouse or someone has pushed her,
because she’s afraid of losing face, or something has convinced her that
there really is no other choice.

P92 First, breastfeeding is harder than most prospective mothers imagine.
Second, it’s not for everyone. This is about meeting not just your baby’s
needs, but also your needs.

One can make a good case for either formula-feeding or breastfeeding.

P93 While I agree that human milk is undoubtedly good for babies, we
mustn’t go overboard. The often-quoted research findings represent
statistical probabilities; breastfed babies sometimes contact those
diseases, too. Also, formula today is more refined and chock-full of
nutrients than ever.

P94 Breastfeeding feels to some women as if they have to “give up” their
bodies. Also, breastfeeding does change the look of most women’s breasts
even more than pregnancy does. When you breastfeed certain irreversible
physiological changes take place. Small breasted women who breastfeed
longer than a year can become flat as pancakes; large breasted women may
experience sagging. Therefore, if a woman is concerned about her body
image, it might not be best for her to breastfeed.

P95  Although BF is natural the technique is a learned skill—more
difficult, at least initially, than feeding a baby formula through a bottle.

P95 We hear much about the convenience of breastfeeding. In part, it’s true…
Mum just whips out a breast….However, most women also pump, which means
they have to take the time to express their milk, and they have to deal
with bottles as well.

P96  Some fathers feel left out when a mum breastfeeds, but this must be a
woman’s choice.

P97  Based on the results of metabolic screening….your pediatrician may
advise against breastfeeding. …. If a baby has a high degree of jaundice…
some hospitals insist on formula.

The proverbial bottom line is that while it is good for a baby to have some
breast milk, especially during the first month, if that’s not the mother’s
choice…formula-feeding is a perfectly acceptable alternative—for some, the
preferable alternative.

……As I continue through the book I will share additional quotes with you ………