Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 2009 15:42:03 EST
Lea  writes:

For a newborn to 1 month old who will have a 2 ounce bottle 7x a  day
Cost/week: $8.33

For a 2 month - 6 month old who will have a 4  ounce bottle 7x a day
Cost/week: $17

I would be  willing to wager there are very few 2 week old infants on
formula that take only  2 ounces/feed.  I would also be willing to wager that
most 3 month olds  drink 5 to 6 ounces per feed.

Don't forget to  include the cost of waste -- Mom fixed 8 ounces and baby
only took 6, so two  were tossed.

I did some  calculations on this years ago -- gosh, I wish I could remember
what they were  now....but costs, just of the formula itself, was a lot
higher than  this.

We looked at the  costs of powder, concentrate and RTF.  I think I did it
in about 1990 or  1992.

Just got this  off the San Diego BF website:

Cost per year
1  Breastfeeding (200-500 kcal/d) $300  Formula:2   Powder (1 lb can)
$1,188  Concentrate (13 oz can) $1,512  Ready to feed (32 oz can) $1,728  Ready
to feed (8 oz cans, 4 pack) $2,376
1. Assuming average formula intake for 1st year of life of  10,800 oz
2. Enfamil with Fe, Von's Supermarket shelf price, San Diego,  CA, Dec 2001

I think every high  school health class ought to figure this out.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, FILCA
Lactation Education  Consultants
_www.lactationeducation.com_ (http://www.lactationeducation.com/)