From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 21:01:44 -0500
To Beth Lichy, looking for "hands-on" opportunities (& presumably hours of
practice towards IBCLC):
Try contacting your local WIC program - you may be able to become a peer
counselor, or work out some other opportunity with their breastfeeding
coordinator that would give you hours and experience with an IBCLC. You get
a pretty wide range of ages and stages, and see the basic BF concerns crop
up over and over again; not necessarily the in-depth problem-solving you
would get through a 1:1 private practice, but you sure can learn a lot about
working with low-income, low-education, very young, and women from many
countries and culture. And you will be welcomed and loved by the WIC staff,
as long as you are able to maintain a go-with-the-flow attitude. IMHO, not
the place for a "breast Nazi", but invaluable for widening perspective and
learning to work fast and to the needs of your client.
Cathy Bargar, RN, IBCLC (former WIC BF Coordinator, or "the breast lady", as
I was frequently referred to)