From:
Evi Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 May 2006 03:39:42 -0700
Dear Mr. Stirewalt,

  Re your opinion column on lactation now and forever (I hope so).

  'The new issue of phony moral outrage being foisted on us is breastfeeding. While women have managed to do this without government intervention for millennia,'

  Women managed for millennia to fed their children from their bodies in the normative manner when there were no barriers to them doing so

  And yes, lawmakers that should not have to deal with this is a society that does not have barriers.

  However - the US is a place where the sight of a breast for a moment on TV incites hysteria. Where breasts are considered sex objects and not just 'fast food outlets' for babies,( even young children can eat from them - gasp).

  Where the thought of 'oh my god what is that woman doing' is of disgust and not appreciation.

  The formula makers have succeeded in convincing the public that giving artificial means of feeding is the norm and okay- when in truth, it is not okay, not the norm and can even kill. The public needs to be aware of these risks - but there is no legislation for truth in labeling of foods that are unsterile and given to millions every day. Hospitals are bribed to do so and women are led to believe it is a freedom of choice. Someone is making money off of this and it ain't the consumer for sure.

   I guess lactivists will continue to take up the lawmakers time with these screams for basic rights of  the young humans who can not yet speak for themselves.

  I also think that any store or restaurant owner would be happy to have a non screaming baby along with his/her mom in their establishment, which is what would happen if the baby were fed when needed. Guess what??  Moms spend money, they have relatives who spend money as well. We call it capitalism.

  Try to create a society of people who are decent and respectful, not repressed and you will not have to waste the lawmakers time in creating laws such as you protest.

  Pygmy mammoth bones do not do it for me either,but the thought of raising the next generation and giving it the optimal in nutrition and care does.

  Maybe folks can be convinced of the rightness of issues  such as proper infant feeding this without legislation. I bet you can help.

  Evi Adams, IBCLC
  Lactivist
  Israel/USA