From:
Sheila Angalet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 1997 23:55:37 -0400
Well dear friends and fellow breastfeeding advocates.....

I'm finally home after an extemely long afternoon at the statehouse in
Trenton.....

The Assembly session was to begin at 2 PM.  Besides "our" breastfeeding in
public bill and other things, a bill regarding "partial birth abortions" was
also on the docket.  The gallery was full with supporters - both pro and con
- for the abortion issue.

At first I was told the breastfeeding bill would be on the consent list -
meaning no discussion, just vote.  Then I was told it was on the non-consent
list - meaning possible discussion.  A bit into the session, the rep from AAP
came to chat and mentioned she feared that the legislators might try to play
the breastfeeding bill with the abortion bill - trying to use the
philosophies of one to gain votes on the other. I will honestly tell you I
was getting nervous!

The abortion issue came up long before the breastfeeding bill - thankfully.
By 5:45 PM the breastfeeding bill was called.  Assemblywoman Shirley Turner,
primary Assembly sponsor of the bill, stood and gave an impassioned speech
including the benefits of breastfeeding to baby and mother, the timeliness of
its passage - just prior to Mother's Day. She also asked me to stand and be
recognized for all the work La Leche League of New Jersey offered on this
bill. (She even went so far as to say without our help, it may not have
happened!) When she finished, she passed it on for a vote of "concensus"
(meaning that the Assembly would accept the Governor's changes).

When the votes were tallied, IT PASSED!!!!! 73 for, 2 against (Assemblymen
Scott Garrett and Michael Carroll) with one abstention (Assemblywoman Marion
Crecco). All members present had voted and it passed!!!

While we can all breathe a little easier, our work is still not done. The
measure now goes to Governor Whitman.  Individuals are urged to contact
Governor Whitman and urge her support, and just as importantly, to urge her
to do a public signing as a positive show of support for breastfeeding women
in this state.

If anyone has any questions, please contact me privately.  I will continue to
keep the list apprised of our progress!

Thank you to all who supported us - with cards, letters, calls and good
thoughts!  We are a mighty force when we all work together!

Warmly,
Sheila Angalet
La Leche League of NJ
(former state coordinator)