Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 10:22:53 -0600
At 11:12 AM 3/18/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Does gentian violet work on fungi besides Candida?

Nail fungus does respond to Gentian Violet.  I've had several clients (plus
a nephew) who had family members use the GV on their nails after it was so
effective on oral and nipple yeast.

One baby had thrush, very red bottom, and a toenail that was infected. He
was being treated for thrush, but the Ped didn't have a clue what was wrong
with his toenail.  He did a culture, and guess what it was... yeast.  The
mom painted his nail with GV for about a week, and it cleared up.  Ped had
suggested Nystatin, but since it hadn't done anything for the oral yeast,
mom went right to the GV.

Do you remember Carol B's guide to "Lactnuts on the Beach"  before Boca
Raton?

8. Lactnuts can be identified by use of gentian violet for finger and toe nail
polish.

So, the precedence has been set.

Go for it!

Oh, a great GV story from another LC.

A mom carefully painted her baby's mouth with GV and he promptly sneezed,
spraying her face, neck and shirt with tiny dots of the glorious purple.
Fortunately, she was able to see the humor in it and called the LC to tell
about it.

By the way, I learned on Lactnet that if one soaks clothing in rubbing
alcohol overnight the purple is removed.  I even tried it with my white lab
coat for a good test, and it did come out.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Mailto:[log in to unmask]