From:
Maureen Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 22:00:36 EDT
Hi all, Having seen many babies die from GBS in a NICU setting--several of
them within hours of birth, and some of them without "risk factors", I'm
pretty OK with most antibiotic prophylaxis, prior to birth.  I don't remember
seeing any babies die of GBS since we've started this policy.  I think that
sepsis is a really lousy way to die.  Ask any mother who has lost a baby that
way.
Recently, we had several posts about the nursing shortage.  I don't think
hourly(or more) vital signs would be possible, when you consider that the
nurses don't have time to even always help with breastfeeding.  I know where
I would rather have them focus their efforts.
I actually don't see a lot of yeast in mothers, other than in the summer
months--and maybe they may have had it anyway, tough to tell.  It's probably
time to study this more.  Are we really seeing more yeast, or just getting
better at diagnosing it?
                                                                Maureen Allen
RN, BSN, IBCLC