From:
Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 07:02:17 -0700
The problem exists for other liquids.  I bought sealed bottled water at
the airport and then it had to go through x-ray, along with my apple and
other food. I told security screening that my probiotics and nutritional
supplements would not be put through and I had a fight on my hands.  My
purse, jacket and carryon were already through x-ray and no one cared if
they were stolen.  This was leaving Las Vegas.  I had had no problem
leaving Seattle.  The bottled water was clear and they could look
through it and they just opened each bottle of supplements.  Las Vegas,
though, told me that everything gets x-rayed now, including the food
brought to concessionaires at the gate--including, you guessed it, clear
bottled water.  Security said I would have to get a physicians letter
next time to hand my supplements around the x-ray unit.  Maybe that’s
what nursing mothers have to do in order not to be hassled regarding
bottled breastmilk.  But then again, at some checkpoints that wouldn’t
be enough, especially if the baby were not along.
Judy Ritchie

The rule is, as I understand it: no unsealed containers allowed - as in
factory sealed, not just screwed down tight. Either drink it or dump it
before going through the security line. The needs of nursing moms should
be addressed directly with the FAA or whatever govt agency now controls
airport security. The airlines no longer have anything to say about it.