From:
"jay.mccormick" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 18:00:54 -0800
Hi all,
    One of the nurses I work with is going
to school working on her BSN.  She had to write a paper and is very
interested in breastfeeding.  The topic was on cultural issues, so she
looked at breastfeeding and some different cultures.  One
interesting thing she discovered through her research was that here in the
U.S. it seems as though we are pushing our children to be independent from
us from the time they are born.  Sleeping away from us, bottle feeding where
feedings can occur with little human contact, ( propping) etc.  She said
that in some
other cultures, and even animal groups infants sometimes never touch the
ground for months after being born they are always in contact with mother or
somebody.  Just thought this was interesting, some of my patients are
already planning weaning from the day they start breastfeeding.  Wish our
society would see breastfeeding as more than just feeding.  That to be well
adjusted, secure, individuals children need to be touched, held, cuddled as
much as we can.  I work outside the home, (part time) that makes it a little
better, but I envy those of you who do get to stay at home.  Believe you me
moms who work inside the home work just as hard as those of us who also work
outside the home.  We have had a bunch of snow days here so everybody has
been home.  In fact may need to go back to work (outside home) to get some
rest HAHA.

Cathy McCormick, RNC IBCLC
N.KY