From:
Arly Helm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 22:08:32 -0800
> Heather:  You didn't mention which therapeutic formulas your health
> care team recommended.  Standard infant formula provides the same
> amount of energy as breastmilk (on average), 20 kcal/oz.  Check to see
> how many kcal/oz the formula they propose offers, and you can use
> breastmilk as a base and increase kcal/oz as needed.  If they wish you
> to give a vitamin/mineral supplement, you can do that as well.
> However, I think it would be valuable to you to check these three sets
> of nutrient values:  a) breastmilk  b) proposed formula  c) RDA for
> your child.

You mentioned the nutritionist conveying the impression that she
thought the value of breastmilk disappeared--poof!--when the child
reached a certain age.  You might agree to try the formula if she can
prove that all the calves (of all the cows at the dairy) are the same
age as your child.  OK, I'm being silly.  Or am I?  Why is cow milk
supposed to have the same nutrient values at all ages of calf and cow,
and breastmilk is supposed to turn to fairy dust after the baby's first
birthday?  Very odd.

Arly Helm, MS, IBCLC