From:
Denise Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 10:01:00 +1000
>and mothers with large nipples (as large or larger than a quarter).

Sorry, but I have no idea how big a quarter is :-)

Now, as requested, I'm not commenting on the article for discussion - not
yet having received my copy, but...

Peter Hartmann, using his natty Computerised Breast Measurement System
researched breast growth during pregnancy, then on into lactation.  I have
article called 'Breast Function during the Lactation Cycle' in my Speaker's
Papers from the ALCA conference in Hobart in 1996 - not sure whether it has
been published more widely - but I would guess it has been.

He, and his fellow researchers, found breast growth during pregnancy to
range from 10ml to 350ml. This was unrelated to pre-conception breast size.
 They found the growth was statistically related to human placental
lactogen, whereas function was related to concentration of prolactin in the
plasma.

The mother whose breast growth was the smallest during pregnancy (10ml)
showed an increase of 200ml over the first month of lactation and was
producing 800ml per day at 1 month (divide ml by 30 to get ounces).  This
woman had no sensation of her milk 'coming in' though she did have a normal
increase in concentration of lactose in her milk.

Like Kathleen's, their recommendation for women who have delayed breast
development is that they would require greater support to ensure that they
initiated successful lactations.

The paper I have makes no comment on the shape of breasts.

Interesting, isn't it?

Denise
in a wet, but still warm Brisbane (middle of the Aussie east coast)