From:
Winifred Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2007 10:33:51 -0600
Since I had mentioned some time ago about babies not being welcome at TOPS (Take Off Pounds Successfullly) meetings, it is only fair that I also post this change from the oganization's February 2007 newsletter:

"..there is no longer any TOPS rule stating, 'children who are not TOPS members canot attend chater meetings'. This retraction was mainly due to a federal regulation concerning the rights of nursing mothers and their infants."

The notice goes on to state that individual chapters can make their own rules regarding bringing babies and children to meetings which means in some cases, moms may still be hassled, but a chapter can no longer cite a rule from "on high" and of course, local laws protcting the right of infants to breastfeed when they need to would apply.  I was glad to see that the statement said "the rights of nursing mothers AND THEIR INFANTS".  All too often it is put only in terms of the mother's right which leaves more room for denying it-in some cases citing gender equality laws and claiming that it gives women a right that men don't have!

It is my understanding that current federal law only applies to federal property, but I'm not about to point that out to them!

Winnie