From:
Keith Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 1995 15:16:00 +0800
Marie wrote:
>>We are up to about 1000 cases of overactive let-down (overfeeding) syndrome
in the clinic now.  95 percent of the colic cases we see are the result of
overfeeding. 3 percent are related to food allergies the remaining 2  percent
are other causes including: colicky mothers and unknowns.
Most of our hypothesis comes from visual observation and a few educated
guesses. So I hope I'm not going way out on a limb here.

1. I believe that we have to find another name for this. In most cases the
*force* of the let-down is only a small part of the overall syndrome.

2. Almost all of our cases are iatrogenic -- mothers doing everything the
books told them to do to increase supply.>>

Marie, I agree wholeheartedly with your views on this syndrome. I have seen
it *so* many times during my years as an NMAA Counsellor. I call it
"Oversupply Colic", and briefly describe it to the mother as "too much milk
going through baby's system too fast", and explain how baby is getting a
large volume, low fat type of milk. I never use the name "Overactive
Let-down" as it doesn't seem to fit to me. Mothers often perceive their
problem as not enough milk, so have often already followed others'
instructions on how to increase their supply, which of course only makes it
worse.

Joy Anderson IBCLC
Perth, Western Australia