Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 15:48:40 -0700
Ok, I have a client and good friend who is going through some testing to determine whether or not her son is autistic.  The MMR vaccine is the most likely culprit in this situation, they are preparing to have the gut test done to see if the measles virus is still present.  Then she believes she can apply for assistance via the US Vaccine Defense Fund (I believe that's what it's called).  Now I don't want to get into a vaccination debate here as I know that isn't the purpose of this list, and my personal opinions don't mean anything to most people, however I need some autism help here.  Her son is 16 months old, showing visible signs of at least the autism spectrum of disorders.  She is breastfeeding and plans to continue.  Her main hurdle right now is that she is getting all the "when are you going to wean that child" questions.  Is there any concrete evidence or even antidotal about the duration of breastfeeding and how it helps autistic children?  I have referenced an article in Mothering Magazine from earlier in the year, but it doesn't give information on whether or not continuing to breastfeed actually helps the child's outcome.  I am only assuming it does because breastmilk is such a wonderful brain food.

The one bit of information that I did find that was SO interesting was that many autistic children have several reoccurrences with thrush and mastitis.  Odd, but very applicable in this case.  This poor mom has fought a breastfeeding battle in one form or another since this baby was born, and has been great to stick with it.  Not to mention a great case study for me to learn from.

Anyone here have experience with this?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Melisa