From:
Brenda Phipps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 2011 16:08:03 -0700
Hi everyone,

As the original poster of this discussion, I have since opened up a huge can
of worms with the physicians. I came in to my office today to find a note
with huge bold print, advising me that one of our docs has demanded that I
no longer discuss this with his patients as it is 1) not FDA approved, and
2) not offered in the USA, only in Canada (and that's incorrect, as we
know...). I do know that in one pediatric practice, there are two physicians
who will write an RX for a mom who needs it, because it is offered locally,
one mile down the street, at a compounding pharmacy. However, one of the
physicians at that pediatric practice has requested information on what is
going on with the requests for this medication, and now I need to send her
some info.

I guess my real question at this point is - how do I, as an LC, ethically
discuss this with my patients? What exactly should I be telling the
physicians? I know that domperidone is safer in terms of side effects, but I
also know it is NOT FDA approved at this moment in time, and that the
physicians are not all super comfortable with me sending patients their way
for prescriptions. Do I immediately conform to their requests, and
discontinue my practice of offering this as a suggestion for moms with
dwindling milk supplies who are desparate to continue breastfeeding?

This issue has always been a thorn in my side - I have knowledge about a
product that I know from experience works amazingly well to help moms
achieve their goals, but feel that I am not "allowed" to discuss it.

Thanks, hope we can have more discussion on this.

Brenda