From:
Sandy Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 21:15:33 -0500
Apologies to those who already read this on Lactivist:
 I just thought I'd share some refreshing 'good' news about BF!
 Last Sunday was our church's "Sister Parish Sunday".  We are linked with a
 church in a very small village in Guatemala (They just got a pay phone in
the
 village last year!).  Our church usually sends down a delegation of about
6-10 each summer.  Between services last Sunday, there were huge displays of
photos, maps, clothing, art, crafts, etc (some for sale), plus the delegates
were dressed in clothing from the area & answered questions & told about
their trip.

 As I was making my way to one of the tables, a friend of mine told me there
 was some "BF pictures".  Our Asst. Pastor pointed the way & showed me photos
 of the local schoolchildren in a World BF Month parade down the streets of
 Antigua.  He said they passed right in front of their hotel!  Date--August
 7th!  They were holding pictures promoting the importance of BF, that would
 be considered too graphic in the US!  There were probably 50+ kids!  All
 ages!  I almost started crying it was so wonderful!

 As I dug around, there were more pictures of a husband-pastor & wife-R.N.
 teaching infant health classes & the importance of BF!  There was also a
 picture of about 8 local women that were trained as LLL peer counselors & it
 showed the materials they teach with (lots of pictures & few words) provided
 thru LLL.

 When I was looking at the parade pix with an older man (that has made the
 trip twice), a mother of a 3 year old came up to see what we were looking
at.
 She made some comment about "they would HAVE to BF there" (she probably
 didn't BF long, if at all, herself).  The MAN started gently telling this
 woman about formula samples given to hospitals, that BF is a matter of life
&
 death, etc, etc.  I was happily stunned!  After catching my breath, I
started
 chiming in too! --about millions of babies dying every year because they are
 denied human milk, etc.  She was quite surprised--but amazingly listened &
 even asked more questions about it!!!

 It was so refreshing & such a surprise.  I have read a lot about BF
promotion
 around the world, but this really put a face on it!

 Sandy Arnold BS, IBCLC
 Bloomington, IN