From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 08:55:39 -0000
from a letter:  Evaluating health promotion is complex
Viv Speller, Alyson Learmonth, and Dominic Harrison
BMJ 1998; 316: 1463.

"We stand by our argument that poor interventions should not be included in
systematic reviews. Health promotion research does not have the benefit of
studies on safety and feasibility (equivalent to phases I and II in drug
development); reviewers must therefore evaluate the intervention itself.
Thus interventions should be clearly and fully described and should be
assessed in systematic reviews against agreed criteria, including indicators
of acceptability and implementability."

I came across this in relation to something else, but thought it applicable
to the Henderson RCT.  Myabe we should be calling for the publication or
availablity of detailed protocols of any intervention on attachment and
positioning, or even publishing criteria against which any intervention
should be mapped.  Anyone got about 2 solid years to spare?

Magda Sachs
Breastfeeding Supporter, BfN, UK