From:
Debbi Heffern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2007 10:22:25 -0600
Shaughn, we've this problem in my part of the US, too, where many are being taught the transition hold in preference over the cradle.

Here's my take:

The transition hold is useful in the first few days if the baby is floppy/drugged out.  With so many inductions forcing the birth of babies who aren't ready to be born and then with all the drugs in their systems, way too many are being born floppy.

Sometimes football is temporarily useful for certain situations, too.  But I always tell the mom "It's just for now because nobody breastfeeds a baby at the shopping mall this way. It's just too awkward."

I prefer to focus on the cradle with self-attachment when possible, because as you (almost) said---and I believe---it's the natural way to hold a baby.  I especially like when the mom leans back a bit, how---as you said---the baby's weight is transferred to her body. Even better is that the baby is "falling into" the breast thereby letting gravity help maintain a deep latch with the tongue over the gumline. (Especially in football, I see too many tongues falling back in the mouth.  Lean back yourself and see where your tongue goes.)

So even if I have to start a mom with the transition hold, once the baby is doing a rhythmic suckle, I teach her how to quickly switch to cradle and then lean back a bit. *That's* when she relaxes and smiles!

Then sometimes I do have to prop a bed pillow under her elbow. This becomes less necessary as her tummy goes down. It all depends on her anatomy, but I agree that no special pillows are needed.

In fact, I wonder about the prevalence of reflux since special pillows came on the scene.  Babies aren't supposed to be laying flat. How does the milk know which way to go---and know to stay down? Gravity applies to drinking, too!

Debbi Heffern RD, IBCLC, LLLL
St. Louis, MO, USA

Checked by AVG Free Edition.