From:
J Nicholls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2013 17:28:36 +1200
Hello
PTP

I was asked to see a baby who had her tongue and lip tie release by laser  yesterday.
Baby is 3 weeks and 2 days and was going to the breast regularly, gaining weight and feeding well but making a popping noise.
Today she is fussing, crying   still making a popping noise and only briefly sucks for a few seconds. ( possible has some discomfort due to  swelling  from the procedure)
When I got baby to suck on my finger she didn't make a popping noise  briefly sucked came off crying, just like she did at the breast she does appear to have a high narrow palate.

I have suggested to mum try baby at the breast and if not latched within 10 minutes give baby 20 mls of  her emb in bottle then try to relatch her (this is what mum has done earlier today)

The dentist has given her tongue exercises but the mum  fines it difficult to grasp the tongue to stretch it. Can anyone with experience with posterior tongued tie infants advise what other exercises may be helpful.
This mum is now feeling guilty that the release was done.  This is her 3rd baby, first with a posterior tongue tie.

Sincerely
June Nicholls
IBCLC