From:
Anne Merewood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Dec 1997 22:44:39 -0500
Nancy - foot and mouth disease affects the baby this way. I know it's very
contagious. Do others know if it is common for the mother's breast to
become infected by this virus? Often the baby gets sores on
hands/feet/belly/diaper area. The sore on your mouth might be indicative?
It mainly affects kids but can be transmitted to adults. I'm just curious
about the direct contact mouth/breast and if this spreads it?
My youngest had this at 13 months while still nursing. It was so horrible I
feared he would wean. He abandoned bf for 4 days. Just screamed and
screamed but couldn't comfort by nursing. I didn't develop sores though. I
painted his mouth with some kind of jelly for ulcers (got in in England,
something bovine in the title can't remember exactly), plus orajel, and
gave him painkilling medication too (we just happened to be jet lagged too
and on a plane/train/boat/car journey from US via UK to Greece and
desperate!). He had a double dose of the disease: a mild form which seemed
to clear up then it all returned within a week, 10 times worse. I fed him
on ice cream, milk shakes, freezing juice and yogurt as he would take no
solids. He did return to breast after the pain went away, and is still
nursing at 18 months.
Good luck! Anne Merewood