From:
Michele Crockett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2014 12:54:37 -0800
In talking about tt with professionals I've considered the theory that
babies have likely died due to their inability to feed because of tt.
Yesterday I was working with a client and her newborn with a type 2-3 tt.
She comes from Central Mexico and as I was carefully describing what I was
seeing, she became teary and shared that her younger brother's tongue
looked like her baby's tongue.  Her brother died in their small village
even though her mother tried to feed him and even another nursing mother
tried but he couldn't eat. Due to the language barrier she had not shared
her fear with anyone. She would have continued to nurse her baby every hour
for 45 minutes despite her 'raw meat' nipples and intense pain without
compliant. Fortunately one of our brand new staff members knew enough to
refer her to me.

I see quite a few of these babies and have a great selection of ARNPs, MDs,
DO, OTs and CSTs to help.  I can access pumps and the moms have many ways
to get their milk into their babies...and yes, formula is an option.
Sometimes I forget how far we have come ....and then I am reminded.

Michele

--
*Michele L. Crockett, IBCLC, PCPA, LLLL*