Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 12:14:04 +0100
>Do preemies have growth spurts as well

Hmmmm...I have never really bought the idea that 'growth spurts' occur at
predictable points  in any babies, and never seen any convincing
documentation of it. Babies do not grow at exactly the same rate and it is
normal for babies to have varying intensities of need for nutrition, that
come and go.  It doesn't matter if these increase at 3 weeks or whatever -
just feed according to your baby's needs.

I  stopped mentioning growth spurts to mothers years ago. I feel what we
say should be based on research and good physiological knowedge where
possible, and this isn't, as far as I can see. I do tell them to 'go with
the flow' and to expect times when their babies will seem to need feeding
more. But I don't tell them it's more likely to happen at weeks x or y.

Heather Welford Nei;
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK