From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2017 08:27:28 -0500
Kika said,

We are designing a study to compare colostrum volumes at different times.
We decided to study this because in our clinical experience in a
birthing/postpartum/maternity ward, volumes of expressed colostrum are
surprisingly LARGE during the first two hours after birth, and then that
bounty seems to diminish.>>

I have been convinced of this for several years.  It is related to the oxytocin influence on the myoepithelial cells during the birth process -- Donna Geddes talked about this a number of years ago.  What would be fascinating, Kika, is if you looked at the type of birth the mother had and how that relates to the volume of colostrum available -- for example, if she was induced or had a repeat C/Section, I wouldn't expect nearly as much colostrum within that first hour and a half as if she went into labor on her own and had either a normal spontaneous vag delivery -- or even if she ultimately ended up with a C/Section.....I think the going into labor on her own is key since we know that Pitocin can suppress her own oxytocin levels.  And would there be a difference between moms who have an epidural and those who don't -- same reason -- suppression of her on oxytocin levels.

I've always thought that here in the US anyway, you would get more colostrum in that hour after birth with pumping rather than hand expression -- I don't know if that is because women don't express to empty, or if they just aren't as skilled at it as they may be later on.  But certainly after that first expression, hand expression would be better.  Again, another good study in the making....

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, FILCA
Wheaton IL, USA

Jan