From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2012 13:54:14 +0100
Yasmeen asks for input on the possible efficacy of fresh breastmilk in an
adult with retinal uveitis.

My experience with breastmilk for eye conditions is limited to newborns
with conjunctivitis not due to pathogens such as chlamydia or gonorrhea. It
works well both to get rid of bacteria in unwanted places like eyes, and to
sooth an irritated eye. Breastmilk has anti-inflammatory properties as
strong as some of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. I don't know
how well the active substances are absorbed over the cornea or through the
mucosa of the eye, which it seems to me they would have to do in order to
affect something retinal. But I can not conceive of any possible harm
resulting from instilling breastmilk in the eye, regardless, and it
certainly has the potential to ease any discomfort in the conjunctiva.

Best of luck, and please let us know how it goes!

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway