From:
Carrie van Rij <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 2009 03:07:43 -0400
This mother has permitted my post. I have also searched the archives with nothing exactly relevant found.

I have a client who is a breastfeeding mother with a 17 month old son. She has been diagnosed (by FNA) with breast cancer in left breast, and a possible lump also in right breast. She is having an MRI in 5 days time which will require 24hrs of pumping and dumping. Her surgeon has recommended she wean before her surgery in two weeks time. Another surgeon  (not her surgeon though) says this is not necessary, so long as she is not engorged at the time of surgery and suggested just trying to reduce the supply between now and then. There is lymph node involvement, and it is certain that she will require chemotherapy. She is aware of the incompatibility of breastfeeding while cytotoxic from chemo.

I've worked with another woman who pumped and dumped for 2 months while on chemo, in order to return to breastfeeding following treatment. I believe that chemo schedules vary depending on what is found in surgery and she may be able to make an informed decision about the choice between pumping and dumping and weaning when her situation is made clearer following her surgery and a plan for chemo is made.

Her baby feeds approximately 8 times/24hrs, mostly at night as they co-sleep. She is concerned about what to feed him alternatively, but more so about how to comfort him. She is about to graduate her midwifery degree and is thus a well informed woman, proactive in her own healthcare.

Can any of you share your experiences with us? Does any one have any ideas on how to manage the continuation of breastfeeding through these circumsatances or how to go about the abrupt(ish) weaning?

Thanks in advance,

Carrie van Rij BM RM IBCLC
New Zealand