Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 2009 23:58:23 +0100
>Dear Collegues.
>I have permission to post. This mom was not going to breastfeed and formula
>fed her baby the first 3 postpartum days until her milk came in. She
>received a
>depo provera shot before discharge. Her milk came in and she began to
>breastfeed. She has had to supplement up to 3 ounces after feeding both
>sides. She was given a pedal pump from her peer counselor and she can pump
>1/2 ounce after feeding both sides.
>My question to you is do you think Reglan could help her?

Can't comment on the Reglan or the depo provera,sorry,  but my
feeling would be that no one is likely to build up a milk supply if
they are giving 3 oz of formula several times a day....the baby is
gaining weight well, so would it  be possible to work on reducing
this supplement very gradually at the same time as building up the
breastmilk by feeding/switch nursing/breast compression/increased bf
frequency?

The concern would be at this stage that the baby is not getting much
breastmilk at all, in fact, and that her supply is already very low.
That would mean a more overt relactation plan.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK