Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2009 01:27:47 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
I do agree that moms are getting a lot of mixed messages about breast milk.  I have been "listening" on some mothers support groups on the internet and have been concerned about some of the comments.
Some moms only wash their pump equipment once/day which I don't like but is not too extreme .  One mom admitted that she only washed her pump equipment when she got a breast rash or her baby had diarrhea and that had been as infrequently as every 2 weeks.

In my clinical practice, I have had 2 recent cases of mold in the pump pieces.  Moms had been worried about soap residual and would just rinse the pieces and never separate them or use soap.  It did take 2 and 4 weeks for the mold to form. 

I do think that breastmilk is a miracle and can withstand a lot.  But, I just shudder when I hear these stories.  I have a lot of difficulty understanding this behavior.

Thanks for letting me rant.  Are other people having these extreme situations?  Sincerely, Rachel Wahl  

> A long time ago I heard about a study done by a couple of bf researchers who> found breastmilk in a hot car did a bunch of tests on it and it was> fine.thus came the statement that breastmilk can be left out at room temp> for up to 10 hours. > > > > Several of my moms are on other on-line-mommy-groups and are getting so much> mixed information on this and other milk storage questions it isn't even> funny. Different websites (reputable ones even!) have different information> which is very confusing for the moms.> > > > Does anyone have access to that study or any others that researched these> issues?> > > > Thanks!> > > > Jaye> > > > Jaye Simpson, IBCLC, CIIM> > Breastfeeding Network> > Sacramento, CA> > www.breastfeedingnetwork.net> > > > > ***********************************************> > Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]> COMMANDS:> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome> > ------------------------------> > Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 19:12:37 -0500> From: Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>> Subject: delaying skin to skin> > Dear Friends:> > > I just saw a video today of a rural hospital in Egypt that started skin to> skin until the first breastfeed for all mothers, cesarean section included.> I've also seen this from a video from the Philippines and know a nurse here> in PHiladelphia that did s2s after 2 cesarean sections at Hahnemann> Hospital.> > The only reason I can imagine taking a baby away from its mother after birth> is if the baby is in dire need of medical attention.> > warmly,> > >> >> > ------------------------------> >> > Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 07:52:08 -0800> > From: Arly <[log in to unmask]>> > Subject: post c/s skin to skin> >> > Can anyone make a good argument for delaying skin to skin after a> > non-emergency c/sec?> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> > Nikki Lee RN, BSN, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI> craniosacral therapy practitioner> www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com> www.myspace.com/adonicalee> > ***********************************************> > Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]> COMMANDS:> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome> > ------------------------------> > Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 19:34:36 -0500> From: "Mina O." <[log in to unmask]>> Subject: Re: milk blisters???> > She started pumping after blisters already appeared. It look more like so=> me severe skin=20> condition. Dermatologist might be able to help her.> Mina, CLE. CLC.> > ***********************************************> > Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]> COMMANDS:> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome> > ------------------------------> > Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 10:46:41 +1000> From: Virginia Thorley <[log in to unmask]>> Subject: post c/s skin to skin> > Arly wrote:> > Can anyone make a good argument for delaying skin to skin after a> non-emergency c/sec?> > Arly, in a word - *no*. Ruth Cantrill, here in Brisbane, has done some good> work on skin-to-skin after c/section. Ruth, are you on lactnet? > > Virginia> In Brisbane, Queensland> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> > ***********************************************> > Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]> COMMANDS:> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome> > ------------------------------> > End of LACTNET Digest - 16 Jan 2009 - Special issue (#2009-53)> **************************************************************

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2