From:
Tracy Massillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 2016 06:36:47 +0000
Hello all!
My friend's second child (2.5y) was diagnosed with Leukemia when she was 8 months pregnant with baby #3. She is still nursing the toddler and the baby has arrived. The toddler is now on oral chemo. Below are the medication details. The question is whether she can switch sides between children or should she only have them nurse on the same breast each in order to reduce the newborn's risk of exposure. If she can switch sides, is there a length of time she should wait or any other precautions? The oncologists and pharmacist were unable to answer this question.
Purixan (mercaptopurine) 2.25 oz per dayhalf life is 2 hours
I appreciate any insight.
(on a lighter note - the toddler has responded EXTREMELY well to the chemo. Of course, my friend and I think that the continued breastfeeding has a lot to do with that!). Be well,
Tracy Massillon, IBCLC
Lactation Consultant, Educator, Doula...and Student Nurse!
Tel: 415.205.1357
www.TheMilkYears.com