From:
Heidi Ann Koslo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2006 18:53:43 -0900
Thank you ... I received a reply off-list as well ... we don't know what
this mother is experiencing yet but this afternoon I found out that it was
one nurse's opinion that the father had shingles, not a confirmed diagnosis
as I was told earlier. Father has a rash on both thighs, which makes his
skin a little sensitive, but not painful ... mother's rash on both hands is
not painful either ... shingles is (from everything I've been told)
incredibly painful. People have described it as agony.  So, if I find out
more (and I may be out of the loop at this point) I will let everyone know
... but I would suspect maybe contact dermatitis or something. I believe the
family was planning on going for a second opinion today.

Heidi Koslo, IBCLC, RLC
907-376-2829

Dr. Gordon wrote:

Undoubtedly, this question will be answered by people who know far more tha=
I do. =20

I think the mother may not have shingles on her hand and that the mom shoul=
not stop nursing.  The baby has been thoroughly exposed to
organisms=8Bincluding shingles--infecting her mom.

 Breast milk will contain antibodies against possible infection.

I eagerly await more-informed opinions.

Jay Gordon