From:
Steven McKenzie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 14:16:46 -0500
Yup, it's true! Gaelin nursed! He nursed, he nursed, he nursed!!!!!!!!

Last night, we did the bathing ritual and he again played with the breast
and tried going down on it (but this time had a "oooo yuk!" expression on
his face. 'Didn't daunt me. I simply thought, "okay, this might be progress!!!"

At 2:30am, he woke up hungry and wet. Daddy changed his nappy while I pumped
then held him till I was done. I had hurried, and had only gotten out two
ounces (he was crying and crying and I couldn't bear to make him wait any
longer, figuring I could get up again once I had him down to pump some more
and top him off later).

He ate up the milk greedily (by that darned cup of course!!!) and then when
it was gone, cried in protest. I don't know why, but I tried him on the
breast anyway. Before, I would do that. Feed him ebm from the cup and then
put him to breast. After his surgery, I diligently tried to sneak him onto
the breast at the usual times I would have nursed him pre-op.

Anyway, he just suddenly took it last night!!!!! I was afraid to breathe!!!!
I thought, "If I move, he'll wake up enough to realize his mistake!!!!!" But
after he'd been nursing for a good five minutes or so (very well and
comfortably!!!) I couldn't bear it any longer, I HAD to tell Steve (DH). I
hissed as quietly and controlled as possible, "Steve! Steve, he's nursing!!!!!"

We were both very excited, indeed!!!

I knew then that he probably would only take the breast sporadically. He
probably would not just suddenly be my "old" Gaelin, nursing all the time
from then on... at all his usual moments. But again, he breastfed at 6am.
This time for a shorter pd. of time, before he refused again.

Hopefully this was the big step forward we needed... Hopefully things will
be uphill from here (then again, UPhill is difficult treading!!! Come to
think of it, "DOWNhill is a negative term too... hmmmmm... y'all knew what I
meant, though, right!?)

I'll keep you updated!!!!!!!!

Carrie