Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:09:53 -0400
 Pam.
I understand why you are happy to hear that the media is publicizing the link between not breastfeeding and breast cancer, but I think there are many things to consider. First, they are still not saying what is actually true--that AF causes breast cancer. Feeding babies at breast is normal and NOT having breast cancer is normal. Women should not have to turn their heads inside out to extrapolate that AF causes breast cancer--it should be plainly stated, based upon the data. I think we have frighteningly lowered the bar in this country at to what constitutes a healthy human being. Personally, I think healthy people are hard to come by in light of decades of invasive, brutal birth and pp practices, artificial feeding, poor nutrition in pregnancy and childhood (and of course, adulthood). low or no activity levels and environmental stressors, not the least of which is a toxic environment. Add to that the drugs people dump onto their bodies to supposedly treat the diseases caused by all of these other factors. Only biologically normal practices grow biologically stable human beings. Try to think of kids you know who were exclusively bf, are not obese (or moving in that direction), do not take any meds, do not have recurrent infections, have normal gut health and EAT a healthy diet (not the absurd pyramid version of a "healthy" diet). Think of adults you know who have normal weight (slightly underweight by typical charts), eat a truly healthy diet, have no diseases, high activity level and excellent gut health. I know very few. I am not suggesting that only physical factors contribute to disease--actually I think they are less important than what we think/believe about our lives, but folks know that exercise and nutrient-dense foods will protect against disease. They still sit on the couch and eat crap. At least saying, for example, that "soda depletes bone density" is giving folks something they can use--rather than "drink more water". It is the same in this case--a few women who have a fear of breast cancer might bf for this reason, but saying that AF causes cancer is much more motivating--it says, pretty clearly, stay away! If we keep talking about the harm caused by AF, at some point, folks will listen. Especially given the fact that feeding babies at breast is pleasurable and bonding and enjoyable for most women.? If we talk about what bf does for us, very few will listen.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network LLC