From:
Star Siegfried <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 07:10:04 -0700
Hi All, to add to what was posted below I have a short story. Pt. presented
to me after bf class, she was 36 weeks. She was concerned about her
nipples. They were covered in dark, dry, thick, scaling skin that was
painful to remove. It was not dried colostrum. I went home did some
research and got back to her. I suggested she see a Dermatologist but did
give her some suggestions as well and this is what I learned.

Ichthyosis: ick-thee-o-ses
ichthy: is taken from the Greek root for "fish"
Affects more than 1 millon Americans ( sorry, from us web site)
Genetic skin disease characterized by dry, thickened, scaling skin.
Wide range of severity and associated symptoms.
No cure, only treatments to help manage symptoms

For this mom I was working with I do think the thick scales over the nipple
pores could have posed a problem with lactation so this is what I suggested
for her:

1. Hydrate skin well and hold the moisture in by using the second skin
product during the day to nipples.
2. Apply lanolin to nipples 24/7
3.After a few days of this moisturizing,lightly rub the thickened skin to
loosen crust. Try this when the skin is wet and soft. Contuinue with
lanolin 24/7 until baby is born and see your doctor.

Happy to report that this treatment worked great, scales came off easily
and baby was born 11 1bs! is breastfeeding and there is no scaling at all.

"The current Issue of JOGNN (Journal of Obs, Gyn and Neonatal Nursing.)  vol.
31 number 5 Sept/Oct 2002
Page 521
Against All Odds: Breastfeeding a Baby With Harlequin Ichthyosis Patricia
Ripmeester, Sandra Dunn"

Take care,
Star Siegfried, RN,BA,IBCLC
Arcata, Ca